The top 8 are all amazing talents. This is an amazing season of The Voice. We finally got rid of pitchy Sylvia Yacoub (YES I AM STILL BITTER ABOUT LOSING De’borah – Deal with it). Although it was a weaker performance for Brian Keith last week, I didn’t want to see him go yet. But that just proves how critical song choice is going to be from now on.
I know that I don’t work for NBC and that I’m not a “coach” on the show. But I do have a pretty good ear for music and after watching the show this season, I think I have a decent sense of each of these contestant’s styles. I know that this is too late for these suggestions to come to fruition for this week, but take note Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Cee-Lo Green, and Christina Aguilera – you can make them happen next time. And – You’re Welcome
1. Melanie Martinez: This young lady continues to blow me away with her tone and amazing sound. Her rasp is a rare talent and she is refreshing. Her new vision is welcome in this business. She could probably sing almost anything and make it her own. My Suggestions:
2. Terry McDermott: I’m in rock god love with this Scottish bloke. How can you NOT bow down to his pure rock vocal talent? He makes real rock-n-roll almost relevant, which has been hard to find in the current pop/dance world of music today. So, lets take it back to basics with some more classics. My Suggestions:
3. Amanda Brown: Thank you America for saving her after her misstep with Florence and the Machine. She claims to be a rock chick and she proved her chops with Dream On. So, why not take on some real rock icon women? My Suggestions:
- Extraordinary by Liz Phair
- More Love by Kim Carnes
4. Cassadee Pope: I think that Cassadee isn’t really sure of a style, yet. She claims to want to be punk/pop rock, but then chooses a country ballad? And don’t get me started on the fortuitous nature that it just won a Country Music award and was a heart-wrenching moment for Blake & his wife. But, she also walked away from her punk/pop rock career as fronting Hey Monday, so if it still is what she wants, embrace it and go for it. Otherwise, stop wasting my time and taking up a valuable finalist spot. My Suggestions:
5. Cody Belew: I think I am starting to see a little dance club flash in this boy’s eyes – and I like it! He brought it out all the way with Crazy in Love last week. So, don’t stop now sistah-friend! My Suggestions:
6. Dez Duran: He brought out the sexy, sensual crooner last week, and I was impressed. His tone and style lend itself to some soulful, yet harmonized vocals. I also see a little boy band good looks. My Suggestions:
7. Nicholas David: He has a great style and voice. But he has become so predictable. And predictable can lead to boring. And boring at this point means – you are going home. Stretch your legs and stir it up a bit. My Suggestions:
8. Trevin Hunte: Last week, I thought choosing Usher was the worst move this guy has made to date. Time to regroup if you want to stay in the game. My Suggestions:
That’s my list for this week. Join me on Twitter to chat during the show on Monday and look for my update next week!