What a crazy awesome night for The Voice last night! These Top Six performers came to win it and their performances (well, most of them) were the best I have seen on any competition singing show to date. This is going to be tough to call as all of them are outrageously talented and I can see almost any one of them grabbing the top prize in the end based on at least one of their songs tonight. Let’s jump right into it.
Here is a breakdown of the performances in the order in which I rank them, from BEST (#1) of the night (which is only by shreds of an inch).
- Terry McDermott: I Wanna Know What Love Is
- Terry McDermott: Stay With Me
- Melanie Martinez: Crazy
- Amanda Brown: Here I Go Again
- Nicholas David: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
- Trevin Hunte: And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going
- Amanda Brown: Natural Woman
- Melanie Martinez: The Show
- Cassadee Pope: I’m With You
- Nicholas David: September
- Cassadee Pope: Stand
- Trevin Hunte: Walking On Sunshine
You can see now why this is so difficult, right? Here are the major points I think came out tonight to help us decide.
1. Cassadee Pope should NOT win this thing. I know that I am still going to get flack for placing Cassadee so low, but I’m not sorry. She does not have the depth of the others. She also lacks tone and power, especially when she reaches into the upper registers. I know I’m not the only one who is noticing her sometimes screeching (am I right, Beans 8?). She is also the only one who has had a somewhat very successful and popular career already. She was the lead singer for Hey Monday who appeared on the Warped Tour. She walked away from that to go solo, and I think it was a big mistake. Let’s not reward her for this. She does not deserve to win this over the others.
2. Each contestant that survives needs to stick to their instincts. The best performances tonight, in my opinion, were the songs that they chose to perform, not their coaches. I don’t think this means that the coaches are wrong by any means. I think it speaks to something that Blake alluded to during the show. When you feel a lyric and can connect with a song, it comes through in your performance. CeeLo saw Terry thinking about his wife and mother during his Foreigner interpretation. Melanie connected with people thinking she is “crazy” as an original. Trevin showed me for the ONLY time this season that he can belt it out finally. Adam’s choice for Amanda was better than her pick, but I think it is because he really sees the rocker in her that she has forgotten about the past few weeks. Listen Final Four – Do Your Thing and You Will Win!
3. Christina Aguilera plays favorites and is NOT paying attention to talent anymore. Honestly, I think that since all of her artists were eliminated, she shouldn’t be allowed to comment anymore. She lost a lot of my respect last week with her antics trying to save her only contestant Dez (who probably should have stayed over Cassadee, but I digress), but this week she hit an all time low. First, she was dismissive in many of her critiques. She told Terry he better listen to her because she takes a long time with her notes, she didn’t think Amanda is being true to her rocker self, and she gushed for Cassadee & Trevin (almost taking credit for his success – CeeLo should really smack her for that one). Her worst offense, though? Basically bullying the multi-talented 17-year old Melanie. I was outraged and so was most of Twitter from what I could tell of the favorites & re-tweets of my comment.
She chided sweet Mel for not looking at her, sang her OWN little ditty during the review, and constantly only giving credit to the set designer who she named by name like 5 times (is she sleeping with him?). Thank you to the WONDERFUL Adam Levine for stepping into the big brother role and standing up for his girl and correcting Miss C, telling her that he and Melanie were the geniuses she should have been praising as they were the ones with the set concept. That’s right – she got served!
I could make predictions, but I really am not sure who all four will be. I think Terry is safely in the Top Four, as well as Cassadee (I don’t know why though). The other two will be a toss-up and we all know America is a strange beast.
That’s it for this week. Join me on Twitter to chat during the show and look for my update tomorrow as to who survives.
UPDATE Tuesday December 4, 2012 2:30 PM
Based on iTunes Performance, the Top 6 look like this:
2. Terry McDermott: I Wanna Know What Love Is
3. Cassadee Pope: Stand
4. Nicholas David: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
7. Cassadee Pope: I’m With You
8. Trevin Hunte: And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going
13. Melanie Martinez: Crazy
17. Melanie Martinez: The Show
22. Amanda Brown: Natural Woman
30. Terry McDermott: Stay With Me
31. Amanda Brown: Here I Go Again
40. Nicholas David: September
56. Trevin Hunte: Walking On Sunshine